maanantai 6. tammikuuta 2014

I'm feeling bleh...

... about the gloomy weather that has continued for days, and about my sewing projects, particularly the Eremitage dress. I seem to have lost interest in completing it and I'm considering if I should take it apart and maybe try and make something else. I don't know what it is, at first the dress seemed kind of interesting and the results so far are passable, but I'm still thinking that maybe the shirred drapery makes the hem a bit too heavy, after all and if I add the gingerbread trims, they will only fray and then the dress will annoy me even more, what with all the hard work wasted.
I've mentioned the Courtois portrait for several times already and I'm more and more intrigued about the gown Ms. Dagnan wears in it. I joined Pinterest and started to put together a pinboard of 1880s dresses that have similar elements as the dress in the portrait. I've also had The Fashions of a Gilded Age  on loan from library for quite a while now and I think maybe this pattern could work with the dress in question:

Then again,  I've stared and stared the portrait and still can't understand how the bodice closes. 1880s is a completely new era for me, so any advice, ideas and suggestions are gratefully received!

How did she put the bodice on? The front of it seems rather solid with all the shirring and trims, but then again the high collar would indicate (at least to me) that the closure cannot be at the back, either. Also, I'm pretty much inventing the skirt part of the dress. If I ever get that far.

If I dump the Eremitage dress and take it apart, I could use the fabric for this, because I think it would suit this dress better than Regency gowns, anyway. I saw that the shop still had the fabric and on sale, to boot, so it'd be possible.

I'm trying to make a mock up of an 1880s corset, so if that works out, maybe this dress will too.

6 kommenttia:

  1. I'm so excited to hear you are still considering making this dress!! I think the front closes like the 1882 dress in your pinterest board. But the overlap-piece not continuing higher than the bow.

    And I'm so tired of this gloom too. I haven't seen the sun in ages. Even midday is dreadfully dark.

    VastaaPoista
  2. I know, right? I thought passing the Winter Solstice meant more daylight :P
    I think you're right, the 1882s dress is the closest equivalent I've found so far and its front closure is really quite clever. Maybe Monsieur Courtois painted the dress to look neater. In fact, now that I look the painting again, it looks like the overlap piece would hook on the left, the same side where the bow is; there's sort of a shadow towards the basque point on the left side.
    By the way, if I run into trouble with this project (which I'm sure I will...) could I ask for your advice?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Yes, of course! :) But I'm sure you will do just wonderfully with this project.

      Poista
  3. Oh, I rather hope you don't take your 20s dress apart. It looked beautiful to me! I bet the 1880s dress would close up center front and that shirred panel would be sewn on one side and have an open-able closure on the other side, like hooks.

    Happy new year!
    Quinn

    VastaaPoista
  4. Does this garment (from 1879) help with closure ideas? http://www.pinterest.com/pin/536209899355601540/

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks, it does! I found another similar one earlier and I think that's the way to go with the bodice closure.

      Poista