Instead, I made it into a petticoat and a caraco jacket, á la 18th century. I modified my black print jacket pattern (originally from the Costume Close-up book) and did some piecing and fiddling and managed to put together the jacket out of the more densely embroidered pallu end of the saree. The petticoat is a bog-standard 18th century skirt, nothing interesting going on there; happily I was able to cut the petticoat so that the nice embroidered border of the saree fell on the petticoat hem.
The jacket closes with three horizontal straps, each on opposite side from the others. I was inspired by the beautiful caraco in V&A and the strap-fronted pierrot in the Cut of Women's Clothes book.
|The saree before cutting|
|Close-up of the embroidery|
|My hand as a scale to show how big the flowers are.|
|I like how the jacket hem spreads out over the bumroll.|
|I still need to sew in hooks to attach the straps. Here they're only pinned and a bit crooked at that.|
|The jacket hem forms a complete circle when it is laid flat.|
|I faced the edges with leftover fabric from the inside because I didn't have enough seam allowances just to turn the lining and the jacket fabric in.|