I made the anglaise after Costume Close-up pattern and as it is my first proper anglaise gown with en fourreau back, I'm rather pleased with it. I'd like to fix the gaping front edges, but other than that, the gown is comfortable, fits well and I'm even beginning to get over that it does look rather pink. Everything is handsewn.
The petticoat is yet another ordinary petticoat, only this time I added a frill on the hem and made the skirt slightly shorter than usual because that looks good with the hem pulled up. I chose to machine sew the petticoat because the fabric (cotton with some sort of finish to make it slightly shiny) was very thightly woven and handsewing it felt like too much of an effort. Besides, sewing petticoats is boring, boring, boring. AND I had to hem not only the skirt itself but also the frill (ca. 6m in lenght) on both edges. Somehow that didn't sound too appealing.
I'm hoping to wear this ensemble at a little ball at the end of September after I've returned from Bath.
|I'm not sure if I should add some bows or ribbons|
|I really like the way that the petticoat looks here|
|Posing with the harp|