perjantai 27. helmikuuta 2015

Seeing double

It's definitely spring because I have so many projects on hold at the moment. The francaise, the Vernet project, a 1920s inspired dress for everyday wear, the red bonnet, a new pair of Regency short stays... But am I rolling up my sleeves and digging into any of those? No.

Instead I browse Pinterest.

And the other day it hit me. I've come across some extant pieces of clothing that aren't actually that unique. There are doubles. Two of the same. Or at least very similar pieces, in different collections.

Like these hats from the Kyoto Costume Museum and the Met:

These two are not exact copies but the style is very similar. (Source: KCI, Met)

Or these spencers, both from the Met:

The material, the decoration, the time period... They all match. These would be identical if it weren't for the sleeves.

And because I've been on a 1920s fashion binge all week, let's take a time-warping jump, 100 years forward:

Again, not an exact match, but remarkably similar. The dress on the left is from the Museum of Vancouver collections, the one on the right is at the Museum at FIT

These two are listed on antique/vintage clothing auction sites, here http://www.thefrock.com/FW_page6_main.html and here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/562527809682184862/
I'm sure there are other examples and I would love to see them!

2 kommenttia:

  1. This is amazing! I wish there'd be a way to unearthen more about it (especially about the garments from the early 19th century). How did it happened? Have they been inspired by the same fashion plates? Have someone seen it on another person and stitched it then? Really an interesting find!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Sabine

    VastaaPoista
  2. That's what I thought too! As far as I understand, mass production of clothes didn't come along until the late 1920s and party dresses such as those above would've been bespoke (I'm assuming) and handmade because of the mass of decoration. Apparently though, they made copies. The Regency doubles are even more interesting, because I don't think there was much dressmaking or hatmaking industry (as we understand it today) to speak of. Again, I have no facts to back up my assumptions, so if anyone knows more, let me know!

    VastaaPoista