maanantai 20. elokuuta 2018

1880s natural form walking suit

I have one word for this project. Meh. I lost interest in working on it halfway through and forced myself to finish it. I honestly don't know what it is with this suit. Maybe the colour is not my favourite, but as I had a lot of the lighter colour fabric in stash I thought I had to use it. The bodice has some fit issues and I think I need to put bones in the seams and darts to reduce the annoying wrinkling. Then again it might just be the character of the fabric. So, meh. I'm half-heartedly planning to make a hat to go with this, I have black straw braid for it.

I'm wearing my late Victorian corset and chemise, plus a little sleeveless undershirt with a ruffle collar. I revised my natural form petticoat because in its earlier form it showed under the shorter skirt. I cut the hem straight, removing the slight trainage on it and put a drawstring to gather the back of the skirt around mid-thigh level. I'm also wearing a small bumpad under the skirts.

Some I-don't-even-care photos here. Whatever. :P


The symmetry of the buttons is off. I have to reposition them. If I ever get around doing it.




8 kommenttia:

  1. It's very cute and a lovely shade of green. Sorry you feel meh about it. Maybe someday you'll come back to it and make changes that make you excited!

    Best,
    Quinn

    VastaaPoista
  2. Really nice! If you don't point out the assymetrical buttons, noone would never notice it, they look perfect. Just a slight suggestion: adorn the bottom of the skirt with the drak green fabrick pleats or ruffle, or something, bustle era ladies loved their overtrimmed skirts :) Neat project :)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you! In the end I was very short on fabric, so I couldn't trim the skirt at all.

      Poista
  3. Maybe you could make a crazy over trimmed hat to go with the plainness? Or add wrist ruffles and wear a huge brooch at the collar? Or add a parasol pocket? From the other side of the world, it looks fine with a nice balance to the colours and shape

    VastaaPoista
  4. Maybe think about it in class terms? Who would be wearing a dress like this? A tradesman's wife? A lawyer's daughter? And look at 19thC photos of women like these for trims and accessories?

    VastaaPoista
  5. Hello ,

    Thank's for your job.
    I am a french collector of magazines and sewing patterns La Mode Illustrée de 1860 à 1924.
    I began to scan the sewing patterns and the magazines and put on my website :
    http://www.french-crea-vintage.com/en/

    Marie-Pascale

    VastaaPoista
  6. Nora - I am producing a short period film and would love to talk with you about purchasing or renting a dress, perhaps this one if it is available. Please visit www.governessfilm.com for information and to contact me. Thanks!

    VastaaPoista