tiistai 27. toukokuuta 2014

Another planning post, 1830s this time...

Ok, so I've just spent couple of hours browsing blogs and Pinterest for 1830s inspiration. Is it just me, or is this era getting more popular all of a sudden? It seems to me that there are 1830s projects popping up here, there and everywhere at the moment.
I've had a favourite 1830s must-make for ages, it's in the Kyoto Costume Institute collections, it's red and very pretty:

Source




I like everything in this dress, the shape, the sleeves (not insanely poofed, but still enough to have that 1830s look), the pleated detail on the bodice and the sleeves, the white accents... I would love to see other angles of the dress but the KCI digital collection and the KCI books only provide this view of the dress. I've already thought about what I would need for a 1830s ensemble and collected a pinboard for inspiration, latest additions being for the crazy hairdos of the era... :)

I would have to begin with making a 1830s corset and currently this is my favourite extant piece. I'd also need a corded petticoat. Since I'm not planning to go heavy into 1830s costuming and it's (probably) a one-off project with just the one dress, I don't want to make multiple undergarments, so I think I can get away with using my Regency chemise and a couple of short 18th century petticoats to complete the set of undergarments. I haven't yet made any drawers for my 1880s get-up, but once I do, those will work for this too.

The dress itself is said to be "red silk and wool mixed gaze with silk satin piping" (I suppose they mean glaze...) but I think cotton voile would probably do also. I know I'm not going to find any fabric in this colour so I'd probably have to dye the fabric myself.

Looking at the picture I'm wondering if the bodice is actually a separate piece and whether it closes at the back or in front. Anyone travelling to Kyoto anytime soon? Would you go to the museum and take lots of photos of this dress?? The sleeves must have some sort of plumpers in them, they wouldn't stay so poofy otherwise. Luckily, I already have a red 1830s bonnet and shawls and fingerless mittens to accessorise a troop of fine ladies, so the only additional thing I need is a collar piece.

All the sewing projects are pretty much on hold at the moment; the great house move endeavour took place yesterday and things are more or less chaotic at the moment. Planning is the only thing I can do for now. However, I'm hoping to travel to Tampere and Helsinki next week, so I'll have a chance to look for lace and ribbon for the Courtois dress (and FINALLY finish it), and who knows what else I'll find.  ;)


8 kommenttia:

  1. My guess would be that the bodice and skirt are probably attached, but the skirt's waistband is most likely sewn to the inside of the bodice at a level higher than the bottom edge, creating that space and shadow between the two pieces.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Yes, you're the third person in the last week who has announced an 1830s project that I've seen. It's a great period, and under-built, so I think it is wonderful that it is being suddenly embraced.

    Fun!
    Quinn

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I think 1830s fashions as the sort of late Regency/early Victorian gone crazy. The remnants of 1820s fashion details pushed over the top (like the hair) and at the same time trying to find new trends. To me it's been like any new thing, fashion or otherwise; expose yourself to it long enough and it starts to make sense. 1830s IS the logical follow-up to Regency and especially 1820s fashion, and even the stupid hair is justified, because with the massive sleeves and full skirts there simply has to be something bigger and more striking on the head (than just a simple bun or a modest bonnet) to balance it out :)

      Poista
  3. I think it's red & silk gAuze as it's fairly sheer and not glossy. I'm so happy to see other people loving the 1830s too. I think of it as ugly-attractive.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. You're right, it's gauze. 1830s is growing on me, even the utterly stupid hairdos :)

      Poista
  4. Oh I would LOVE to go to The Kyoto Museum! I'd have to wear a bib cause I'd drool all over everything...including this dress. I have it on my to do list, but if you make it first, I won't have to! It has such lovely lines and the bonus is the buttons!!! I adore buttons! I hope your great unpacking from the great move goes smoothly so you can get back to sewing!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. :) I don't see why you couldn't make the KCI dress, even if I take a bash at it. It'd be interesting to see two different interpretations!
      I managed to unpack the last things by the end of this week, but I have a bathroom renovation under way, so it's still a bit messy. I've managed to continue sewing (the dance dress) and I'm loving my new work table, though!

      Poista