torstai 10. huhtikuuta 2014

The Courtois dress: the latest stage

Things are chugging along with the Courtois dress. I made the sleeves and set them in and I've also sewn all the hooks, eyes and yarn loops on the fronts. I tried the whole dress on again today and took some photos which are below.

I might still take in the front of the jacket a little over the belly; there's quite a lot of looseness there. Although, when I sit the front hem of the jacket spreads out nicely and there is no weird wrinkling.

I've noticed that every time I put on the corset the result is a bit different. It doesn't always sit in the exactly same place as before, and sometimes I manage to tighten the laces more evenly than before. Also the fit issues I mentioned in the previous post were due to my lacing of the corset tighter than before. I think I need to practice lacing and placing the corset more to get more even results.



I need to add more fabric to the shirred pieces on the neckline

I'm not sure whether or not to take in the front hem a little.

Corset lacing showing through; maybe I should make a corset cover, too.


Antique lace from the 1890s; pity I don't have enough of this.


Another piece of antique lace. It's not the right kind, though. I also need to find ribbon, narrower for the hems and wide for the overskirt ruching, jacket cuffs and the rosette on the front.

14 kommenttia:

  1. I love this so much. Especially the smocking. It's beautiful.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Stunning - but no surprice there ;) The colour is very nice on you too.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! The colour is lovely but very hard to photograph.

      Poista
  3. Wow!!! Just...WOW!! This is so incredible! I ADORE the smocking and am so in awe of your talkent for that particular technique! I hate it when I don't have enough antique lace for a project! Especially when it is so fabulous! I have the same issues with the corset lacing. It depends on the time of day I put my corset on or if I have just eaten or if I have lost or gained a couple of pounds..our bodies are never the same all the time, so that could also be why the shape is different for everytime you put yours on! I think you look stunning in this!

    Blessings!
    g

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you! Smocking is not at all difficult to sew, you only need to be very precise with the preparations of the piece. I first meant to use the 1890s lace on this dress, but after realising I don't even have enough for the collar I'm now looking for something else that would do. It's true that many things affect the corseted shape at any given time; I would also add the lack of an experienced maid :) I'm sure that to have an extra pair of hands makes all the difference in how consistent the lacing and the placement of the corset are.

      Poista
  4. Beautiful and it looks so authentic. I am jealous!!!

    VastaaPoista
  5. It's a masterpiece! I'm so impressed how you made the front piece. It looks spectacular!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Oh thank you! Question: what would you do, would you take in the front hems of the jacket or not? Do you think it's ok being looser, or should I take it in?

      Poista
    2. It's definitely ok looser. If it was me, I'd be tempted to take it in just a tiny bit just on the hem. It might bring out the ideal rounded belly -look even more. But too loose is a lot better than too tight which would end up taking away from the lovely shapeliness of the garment and could turn in to wrinkles.

      Poista
  6. Oh my word! This is so pretty! I've been planning on making a dress based on the same painting you took inspiration from, and it's just lovely to see what you made, being based from the same painting! I love the color and fit of the dress you are making. And the smocking you did is amazing! I can't wait to see the completely finished dress!!!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you! You should definitely make another version of the Courtois portrait dress! It would be really interesting to see another interpretation :)

      Poista