tiistai 14. toukokuuta 2013

Things from 1820s and 1920s

First things first: the Nordiska Museet spencer is finished. Here's the original:


I haven't been able to find any information on this on the internet, so the picture is my photo of a photo in a book called Empirens Döttrar (transl. Daughters of the Empire or Daughters of the Regency Age, depending on one's point of view). The book says that this is a riding habit from ca. the 1820s.

Here's my version of it, worn with my massive red bonnet. The hat is maybe leaning over to the 1830s, but I like it anyway :) As said I haven't yet found suitable decorative buttons but the jacket works well without them, too.


I really like the silhouette here.


The gown is the very first Regency dress I ever made, with the fern embroideries on the hem.







Ok, let's take a time-warping jump, 100 years ahead. I've been waiting the Great Gatsby movie for ages and it finally opens here this week. With that in mind, I made a little cloche hat which I intend to wear with my American Duchess Skidoos when I go and see the film :) I drafted the hat pattern myself, but I was inspired by this DL Designs hat. Have a look at some photos, do!

Overtaken by the Charleston craze

The shoes are actually red and white, it doesn't show here very well


The brim can be worn asymmetrically like this or symmetrically, framing the face more

20s-esque accessories with the only actual thing from the 20s in my possession: my fiddle, built in 1928 

By the way, I've also been a good girl and started sewing on the pelisse trimmings :)


3 kommenttia:

  1. Oh my, the spencer looks spectacular!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! I'm fairly pleased with it, too :)

      Poista
  2. My bonnet I'm making is like your big bonnet. How do you find it is it hard to see past/hear what's going on?

    VastaaPoista