I also decided to do some cording on these stays to prevent them from stretching and to give them additional support. For boning I used semi-stiff plastic bone in two widths, two lengths of the narrower on both sides of centre back and two lenghts of the wider one on centre front and the sides. I also used jute cord for the cording.
I finished the stays today and I'm very pleased with the result. I might even go so far as to say that they're the first stays of any period that turned out just the way I wanted :) Here's a load of pictures I took:
|I added a drawstring inside the top edge of the stays to improve the fit|
|The bones I used|
|Some construction photos, top layer and the middle layer pinned together|
|Putting in the gores|
|Everything is handstitched, as usual|
|Cording lines skecthed on a paper mock up|
|Centre front boning and cording on the reverse side|
|Centre back and lacing holes; the bones refused to lie flat|
In fact, I actually liked sewing on the cording and was thinking that it might be interesting to make a pair of stays that are entirely corded.