torstai 24. heinäkuuta 2014

Floral robe à l'Anglaise (and new shoes!)

As I mentioned in the previous post, I've been making a new robe à l'Anglaise, and I finished it yesterday. I think it turned out better than the stripy anglaise I made before; the fit and the look are better and it just works. The pattern is from Linda Baumgarten's Costume Close-up and I just made the necessary modifications to fit and to the lenght of the hem, as I didn't want to make a retroussee hem this time. The overall look of the gown is very simple, it has only box-pleated self-fabric trims on the neckline and on the cuffs and the bodice is closed with pins. I wanted something more everyday and plain, and I think I succeeded. I still need to make a fichu scarf as I only have a black one, and an apron, since I'm going to wear the gown at an 18th century market.

The fabric is cotton and an Ikea duvet cover, by the name of Hållrot. I found out that the pattern on it is an authentic historical print from the collections of the Museum of Printed Textiles (Musée de l’Impression sur Êtoffes) in Mulhouse, France. So, hooray!

Also, today I went to the post office to pick up a shoe delivery from the American Duchess. I ordered 18th shoes for myself and some friends, and they couldn't have come at the more perfect time :) The service and the speed of delivery at the AD were as good as ever and I'm very happy with my new shoesies. Pictures below :)

They've come. They're here.

Pretty buckles.

Otherwise ok, but I really need a new bumpad, the current one produces a weird shelf-like silhouette...


I'm fairly chuffed about the whole get-up.


Close-up of the bodice. I chose to close it with pins and I'm really pleased with the shape of the neckline and the trims.


Sample garters I've been making for the event in August. They say "Halte la" :)

New shoes! My feet look massive, due to the strange camera angle..

A bit hard to see, but this is a close-up of the en fourreau pleats

The box pleated trim, cut with pinking shears

The inside; for once I managed to make it tidy.



19 kommenttia:

  1. SO PRETTY! I love that fabric! I'm going to go surf Ikea's website right now... not that I need to buy anything or have any reason to make an 18th century dress anytime soon... Your accessories (hat, cap, etc.) are lovely, too. Can't wait for more pictures!

    Best,
    Quinn

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! The fabric is so nice to work with. I still have a lot of it left so I was thinking of finally trying to make a francaise too. There will be more pictures of this dress in couple of week's time when I've been to the event :)

      Poista
  2. Oh your dress is very pretty! Good work! :)

    VastaaPoista
  3. Beautiful! I almost buy the same ikea duvet cover yesterday :) your dress looks fantastic!

    VastaaPoista
  4. This is so gorgeous. I LOVE the fabric! I saw the duvet cover at IKEA a couple months back but was unsure if it would make up into an 18th c. dress well. You have proved YES it WILL!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! And thanks for the shoes :) At first the fabric and the print looked a bit unimpressive on the Ikea website, but it really is a pretty pattern and the fabric was very nice to sew.

      Poista
  5. That fabric is so beautiful! You did such a wonderful gorgeous job! Which duvet sizing did you choose? Curious as I am thinking of making a robe à l'anglaise from it.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you! I got the bigger size. Actually, I managed to make the entire anglaise from just one side of the duvet, I only cut the trimmings from the other side. So one bigger duvet should be plenty for an anglaise gown :)

      Poista
  6. We got the same shoes, only I took the glittery buckles! I love your anglaise, it looks so pretty! I really need to hunt the fabric down in my local Ikea...

    VastaaPoista
  7. Oh how lovely! I LOVE your fabric choices and the dress design! You have done a fabulous job once again! A great inspiration!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    VastaaPoista
  8. I love this fabric!! It's amazing what can be found in the bedding department. It's a delightful gown!

    Caroline

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you! I wore the anglaise to an event a week ago and it performed very well.

      Poista
  9. This is so beautiful! I love everything about your 'outfit'!

    VastaaPoista
  10. This is so pretty! Thank you for sharing!

    VastaaPoista
  11. I just came by your site on a 18th c. pinterest spree, and I really love your outfit. I am actually thinking of doing something similar for a fair in Denmark this summer. I will make a short jacket with the same fabric from Ikea and pair it with a skirt in red wool.

    A little question: how much shipping and tax did you end up paying for the shoes?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Hi, the postage was ca. 57 dollars. I can't remember how much the customs fee was, but it was not cheap.
      Thanks for your comment!

      Poista