This was a straightforward project as Regency dresses tend to be. I love working with sarees because there is such a variety available and the colours and the decorations are gorgeous. Also, if you buy them used, they're a bargain. I mean where else could you get 6 metres of finely embroidered fabric with 20-30 euros the lot?
I used my standard Regency bodice, cut the hem as a big rectangle so there is only one seam at the centre back, and made puff sleeves. I was going for the 1810s look with this gown, with the big sleeves, vibrant colour and no train ( because I want to be able to dance wearing this dress!). I added a decorative, gathered strip of fabric on the neckline and sewed on it some of the beads I detached from the only bit of the saree that was a bit damaged. Everything is handsewn as usual. I'm very happy with the gown!
|There are 4 pairs of hooks and eyes to attach the dress but I could only bend my arms to close the top and bottom ones. The maid's still on holiday :)|
|I really like the hem embroidery.|
|I tried something new with my hair and had a matching (yes, it matches the embroidery colours!) scarf to tie as a turban.|